Close

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New guy looking for insights

I do some oval dirt track racing, mostly in South Carolina. Currently I have been running a 98' SL2. This year I decided to take a MP2 tranny (locked) and mate it with the DOHC, running it in 2nd gear with taller tires. (Manual transmission) The track I have been running lately is a 3/8 mile, low-mid banking track.
    The two questions I have are as follows:
    1. Would a Cobalt strut/spring be able to be used to stiffen my right front for better handling? (Heard a rumor I could, but need more information)
    2. How much of a difference in tire size (circumference) would a 9lb. Chromoly flywheel would be needed in lieu of the stock flywheel?

WrAiTh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cobalt stuff is not a direct fit at all.

I'm not sure what you are asking in question 2. The stock flywheel is 18lbs if that is what you are asking.

You may run into issues with the right rear wheel bearing going out a lot.

ALso, put an extra 1/2 qt to a quart of oil in the crank case. There was a father/son team here in my area that kept loosing engines from oil starvation on high G turns. A little extra oil in the crank case will help keep the pickup tube submerged. I would start with a 1/2 qt and work up from there.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have already taken care of the right rear bearing. Now using either an Ion or Cobalt bearing. They are beefier! Accomplished this by taking those backing plates with the brakes, flaring the brake line ends and attaching it. We take the bearing and drill a hole big enough to get a 10mm with extension somewhere between the wheel studs. Take a homemade template for the S-series rear spindles and etch the holes out enough for the S-SERIES bolts to fit. Now I have bearings that last 1-2 seasons safely, pending abuse of course!

What I was referring to on the flywheel was this. I know using a lighter flywheel can cause RPMs to jump up and down quickly. I'm using a 98' DOHC engine and a '94 MP2 transmission (taller gear ratio) with a stock flywheel. The circumference of my front tires are LF 76" and RF 78.5" Was wondering how much of a change I have to expect with the 9# flywheel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot answer that second question. I wouldn't expect much of a change from the flywheel. Though i did run a light flywheel for years i never really noticed a change in power delivery other than when taking off from a stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The lighter flywheel will theoretically help a little bit but I'm not sure that you will really see a great deal there, you can "balance" the stock flywheel down to about 11-14lbs if I remember correctly.

While I've been out of the game of hiding aftermarket parts in race cars for a few years, depending on how much you need the front corner to be stiffer you could try a few replacement springs from parts stores. I'm not sure of any off hand that are specifically stiffer as I always just used aftermarket performance springs from the start.

Where in SC do you all race?
    Jonathan
    Just a guy with a thing for tubeframes and motorswaps...
    Saturns, I have them, too many of them actually

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The past few two years I was racing at Lancaster Speedway. It was a 1/2 mile, high bank. Was supposed to be a stock class and got out of hand because no one would tech them to keep them honest. Now I have been running at Sumter Speedway which is a 3/8, low/medium bank track. There as long as it appears stock, it's legal. I can usually hang with those Hondas there. Handling is where I am able to keep up. Was thinking of the flywheel to help get off the corners, and use the stiffer spring to allow me to get deeper into the corners. Currently I have to let out early in order to keep the car together into corner. With the DOHC and older SOHC transmission and tire circumference stated earlier, I am topping out at 7100-7200 RPM. (Yes I have the automatic CPU instead of the manual CPU...lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do know a guy in your area that spanks the Hondas when he get so go racing. I will see if he can post for you.

9. Likes WrAiTh liked this post