User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cooler air with stock airbox

Stupid brain going down a stupid thought path.

Air intake, stock system isn't bad, but has 2 main drawbacks imo.

1. Throttle body Feeder tube has stupid small outlet, for stock throttle body.

2. The assembly is a dumb warm air induction system stock. Yes it pulls from behind the headlight, through a tiny Intake tube.

I've swapped back on the stock airbox, in place of my dumb WAI that did nothing besides sound cool. I've saved most of that cool sound and kept GEO TB compatability by connecting the bigger aluminum tubing of my old WAI to the stock airbox.

(Pic here)

I'm not sure what year the snout of the airbox is off. I had a few stashed. Certain years had a very oval passage, other years it's plain circular, better for the couplers. Perfect match for my reused WAI pipe. The joints should give plenty of play for motor.

Now to the real point of this post. Making the stock airbox instead if pulling from behind the headlight, to cooler air down low or in the fender or grill or something.

The ION Redlines came with a very well designed filtering system, with a nice big cylinder filter oriented vertically, and mounted to the transmission of all things. Then sucked air through a pipe or duct that ran from bottom of filter box to up in the driver side fender. They are kinda hard to find, and then too expensive to test ideas on though.

Idea time!
    We could prob design something like that, or accomplish simmilar. Block off the stock tiny air passage behind headlight then use the old airbox "muffler" passage, or the bottom of the box, to route ducting to the fender or grille areas. Simmilar to the AEM CAIs available, but custom, and using existing hardware and filters.

What so you guys think?
    This train of thought got started on FB here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1419...4495453447217/
    Last edited by ZombieSatty; 06-27-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    It's not my fault, blame the radiation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm down. tired of my ebay shit filter

3. Likes ZombieSatty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm keeping stock box probably on the RHD. Going to route up some cooler air like you suggested using some ducting
    Sixthsphere.com Owner
    2016 Honda Fit
    2002 Saturn SL1 - RHD
    2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the snout that the Redline uses from the filter box to the space in the fender.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F273818707863

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do something like this back when I had the car N/A and on nitrous.

That stock snorkel going into the box gets round by the box. I cut off the weird shaped part and then ran flexible vent hosing down to the fog light hole opening on my SC2. I also had another tube that when into the air silencer hole and then drew in air from the driver's side of the middle opening in the 95 SC2 front end.

I also ground out all the ribbing in to lid of the air box that was perpendicular to the airflow. I liked the stock air intake tube by the stock throttle body (or bored out stock throttle body) because it had a nice taper to let the air funnel into the throttle body.
    -6S Resident Mechanical Forensics member #001.
    1995 SC2 Turbo 3.6L DOHC, 6sp manual, Ford 8.8 rearend running on MS3x.
    1998 F-250 5.4L triton...stock.

7. Likes ZombieSatty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. some people have used throttle bodys from a geo storm http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176235

2. The air intake is designed for the car changing any part of it will affect your MPG.

What purpose do you want cold air intake?

changing the air for hot to cold will make the ECM compensate by adjusting the injector to dispense just enough fuel to work with the rest of the other engine sensors. your mileage will suffer. so no matter what you do the ECM will try to adjust for that change, most times it does not.
    2002 Saturn SC1, Metallic Orange , L24 1.9 , 204,170 miles

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SMGordon1259 View Post
    1. some people have used throttle bodys from a geo storm http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176235

2. The air intake is designed for the car changing any part of it will affect your MPG.

What purpose do you want cold air intake?

changing the air for hot to cold will make the ECM compensate by adjusting the injector to dispense just enough fuel to work with the rest of the other engine sensors. your mileage will suffer. so no matter what you do the ECM will try to adjust for that change, most times it does not.
    You don't know me well do you?

I made the widely used throttle brakets for the GEOs

I don't care about my mpg, it's an autoX car now and my turbo 300hp volvo gets better mpg, basically...on the highway.

More cooler air into the engine > more POWA! In theory.

I like the ideas of pulling air from the grill etc. Keep them coming.

The 1g cars did pull air from across the bay. The tube went over the radiator, so it got hot, but that and maybe engine sound are the lazy reasons they kept that hole in the airbox I guess.